How to Stay Fit While Traveling
New restaurants, exotic foods, pastries, cheese, wine... All of these things taunt me!! Yes, I have been indulging. I do try to stay fit and healthy when I'm away from home. Below are my top tips to staying fit and healthy while traveling.
1. WALK. Walk everywhere, all the time. Only take public transit if you have to. The more you walk, the more you can eat. That's logic, right? You can use the app (maps.me) to have GPS without internet but you have to download the particular city map that you want while you are connected to wifi so plan first. Not only will you save money and learn your way around the city more and your body will thank you.
2. USE NATURE AS SOURCE. You may be vacationing on a lake, why not go for a swim. If there is a beach walk, run or jog and feel the sand between your toes. It's also a good exfoliation method. If you find yourself near mountains, explore the outdoors and hike. When you get to the top you'll be glad you did as soon as you see the amazing view or you can slow it down and pull out your yoga mat to stretch, meditate and perfect your yoga skills. These are all things that are free and keep you active while traveling.
3. USE YOUR AMENITIES AND WHAT YOU'RE PAYING FOR. If the place you're staying has bikes, ride them. You'll get some exercise and be able to see more of the city then if you walked. A lot of hotels have gyms so if the weather is bad you can still get your workout in. Also, depending on if you're in a tropical place, some resorts might have free kayaks and paddle boards. Blaine and I just stayed at (Tilt Ta Dock) in Belize and they had both. FREE bikes and kayaks!! The price you paid for your room is most likely all inclusive so use what you're paying for.
4. USE THE STAIRS. Don't take the lift. Even if it takes longer you will eventually make it. Just one step at a time.
5. CHAIN GYMS. My friend Jake will often get memberships to gyms that have chains around the whole country if he is there for a while. Making time for fitness will help you feel better, it keeps the doctor away and in turn you traveling farther.
6. EAT AS HEALTHY AS YOU CAN. I know, why the heck would you deny yourself all of the amazing cultural delicacies and staples. Well, I don't, but it is important to try and eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can. Cook as often as possible and when you do, choose to cook healthy. Then you won't feel bad indulging in all of those sweets.
#fitness #coach #health #travelfitness #stayfitwhiletraveling